Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Taking One for the Team

In racquetball their are many swings,some of them proper and mechanically sound and some wild and unorthodox. Many people before they play racquetball have played other sports besides RB. The easiest to pick is the tennis swing ,it is a long swing. Squash players have tighter strokes usually not following all the way through. Well I am generally aware of where most people are on the court in relation to me. I can relatively cheat up or shadow a player and not get hit. I can vouch for this because I have only been hit once by Manny the Mexican Jumping bean when I first started playing seven years ago. So I have learned to even side step and spin when I see these bull of men running at me like a waving red cape. The player that I have not adjusted to is the helicopter swinger. I did not realize that this person starts his backhand facing the front wall which makes his racquet end up in the "shadowing" opponents face. Needless to say I took a full back swing to my face,as I was falling I was saying "will this ruin my chances at the cover of GQ this month". After I iced my lip and jaw for about two minute I realized I felt like two face from Dick Tracy. I had two faces the right that I could feel fine and my left which felt actually numb. It actually took me about three minutes to get back in and finish winning that game and I ruined one of my new sweatbands ,unless blood is the new style for the flame logo. Besides the cut under my nose I realized when I went to go brush my teeth that night I had a pea size hole in the back of my lip that almost came through the other side. It was from my incisor trying to jut through my lip. Strangely the next day I felt fine. What is the lesson from all this..... Jaime Hopkins is the answer. The racquetball gods cashed in my bad karma chip for hitting him at the NY BBQ shootout. It all makes sense now. I would like to take a moment to thank Aimee and Scott for signing up for my blog. I won't forget the people who got me here when I become famous or as I said after I got hit framous. Jon "Hit Smarter not Harder"

No comments:

Post a Comment