Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Tale of Latell

Like most people that touch our lives you wish you could have seen them one more time before they pass. As many people in the racquetball community already know Latell Clark passed away over the weekend. The word warrior in many definitions of the word apply to him. Many people who were not close to him would not have known that he was through very difficult physical times. I can never,ever remember him not greeting everyone with a big glowing smile followed by words of praise. He would introduce me to many of the players to me as "Jon he is one of the great players in the club",I don't know whether he believed it or not but I would always laugh but somehow it strangely felt good. I am sure that was his intention because that was who he was. I had many philosophical and political conversations while other people were running around playing ball. He was never the type to argue. I felt like he was always trying to learn and understand people. He coached many people in our sport and I believe his mentor at times was Richie Bear. I know for a fact ,though he never advertised it, that he was financially generous to our sport. My first meeting with Latell was at a Fran Davis camp. At the time I truly did not appreciate the mental aspect of sports, something he was a master of. I was saying to myself I am here to work on my backhand how is this guy going to help me,how ignorant and wrong I was. Latell was new to LA Fitness but I felt like he was a fixture in the place. He was like the philosophical Cliff on cheers ,but not in a condescending or annoying way. I find it ironic that I never got to play with him until about a week ago,surprisingly he was quite competitive and focused on the court. I went to his face book page and I was his last entry on there. Maybe the big guy was trying to tell me something. I don't have to tell how Latell will be missed. I don't have to tell how he won't be forgotten. What most people do not know that he is right now rolling out splatshots and rolling out balls unencumbered by his physical limitations. Maybe Latell and a few of the angels are going out for a bite to eat after their games. I know one thing,heaven is better off with him and we are at a loss. God bless Latell,not only from me but your entire racquetball family still here on Earth.

2 comments:

  1. I have not had the privilege of knowing LaTell for long, but I loved him unconditionally. LaTell was the real deal -- his mind, his big heart, his loving disposition, the way he handled his own physical challenges and recovered to play and win in racketball again. I will miss him deeply as I am sure will everyone who knew him. I last spoke with him in early August when he souinded tired but absorbed in his project -- I hope whoever finishes it will do him proud. Linda Jean Strothman, PhD

    ReplyDelete