Sunday, August 16, 2009

Time to get the feet wet.

The first tournament of the summer was held at Sportstime in Long Island by Tom Keogh. I figured a non sanctioned tournament would be a great place to get my tournament legs back. I think I was the only person representing NJ of about 40 participants. It is a long ride with traffic there and back for a couple hours of play. What is funny about going is that it was a mixed A Open division.It is funny how a big fish looks small around the big tunas. As I mentioned the journey there was about two and a half hours which gave me about 20 minutes to warm up.I got on the fishbowl and felt good.I got off the court to use the little boys room and Jaimie Hopkins was now warming up. I knocked on the door to get my racquet and he asked me to come in to hit the ball around.I said sure not even thinking about my goggles not being on. We had some nice rallies until I gently popped a ball into his left Eye as he turned around.he immediately went to the bathroom and I got him some ice.I felt terrible for hitting him and he could not even play.i am starting to believe I am a virus. Though I enjoy the big tourneys I like the intimacies of the shootouts. Ruben,Nick,and Fabian represented the top of the open division and all of us small fish were floundering(pun intended).Nick and Ruben went to the finals and it was a great match to watch with Ruben diving and Nick powering the ball.Experience beat youth again this day.I had to leave but I know it was Gonzolez/Bonnomo vs Monty/Chisolm . I truly believe it could have went either way but I put the odds on the geezer jocks. Me I lost both matches though I was very happy the way I shot the second game so we shall see what the season brings for the virus. Jon "Hit Smarter not Harder"

No comments:

Post a Comment